Bronze plaque on a large rock.
Signed: p lenoir
La Roche des Poètes - Ploumanac'h
In 1910, the Tourist Office of Perros-Guirec and some writers decided to make a rock situated between La Clarté and Ploumanac'h into a place of remembrance of writers who were inspired by the site. On the rock, bronze portrait plaques were mounted. Each time, a medallion was added, a festive day was organised, the Fête des Chantres du Trégor (Festival of the Trégor singers). The first festival took place 28 August 28 1910, with the unveiling of the medallion of the poet Gabriel Vicaire, designed by the sculptor Pierre Lenoir. On 2 September 1928, the medallion of the writer Anatole Le Braz by Armel-Beaufils was inaugurated. The third and last medallion added, was that of Charles Le Goffic made by Louis-Henri Nicot, which was affixed 26 August 1933. The rock was successively named Rocher du Dante (Dante's Rock), Roche des Soupirs (Rock of Sighs), Roche des Martyrs (Martyrs' Rock) and Roche des Poètes (Poets' Rock).
A fourth plaque meant for this rock, from Durocher, was later placed on a rock in Trégastel.
- Pierre Lenoir (1879-1953),
French sculptor and medallist.
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 48°49'23" - W 3°28'45")
Item Code: frbr019; Photograph: 27 May 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt