Breton style granite 'calvaire' with a 7 m high cross. At the foot is on the front a pieta and on the back a saint, probably Saint Gildas. At the foot of the cross are two twin-statues (statues géminées - statues with two different sides): St. Mary and St. John the Apostle, and St. Maria Magdelena and St. Peter
Crucifix with two 'double' statues
St. Gildas (probably)
(from base merimee):
M CC LE GLINEC R IAC CROISSANT F 1660
M LE GLINEC PETR DE CAST MR CAR... JACOB CROISS
Calvary or Golgotha was the site, outside of ancient Jerusalem's early first century walls, at which the crucifixion of Jesus occurred. In religius sculpture, a calvary is a type of monumental public crucifix with two or more adjoining statues.
In northern France, Belgium, and southern Netherlands calvaries were erected at the junction of routes and tracks or on cemeteries, usually showing the crucifix with statues of Saint John the Apostle and Saint Mary Magdalena.
The calvaire in Bretagne is distinguished from a simple crucifix cross by the inclusion of three-dimensional figures surrounding the Crucifixion itself, typically representing Mary and the apostles of Jesus, though later saints and symbolic figures may also be depicted.
In Central Europe, a calvary is a complex of shrines or chapels containing not only the sculpture or painting of Crucifixion of Jesus, but all the Stations of the Cross.
- Roland Doré (1618-1660),
sculptor of Landerneau, famous for his work on calvaries
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 48°9'27" - W 4°8'19")
Item Code: frbr072; Photograph: 29 May 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt