The building of the former Reichsbank shows eight statues, and several medaillions/coins.
In the fronton the coat of arms of the German empire and the text REICHS BANK, below the fronton five figures:
- Fischerei (Fischer) / Fishing (fisherman)
- Produzierendes Gewerbe (Schmied) / Manufacturing (blacksmith)
- Handel (Kaufmann) / Trade (merchant)
- Landwirtschaft (Bauer) / Agriculture (farmer)
- Seefahrt (Matrose) / Navigation (sailor)
Entrance Alter Wall
At the sides of the portal are reliefs with the twelve signs of the zodiac.
- Wirtschaftsmacht (Merkur) / Economic power (Mercure), accompanied by a putto with a book.
- Streitkraft (Ritter mit Schwert) / Force (Knight with sword), accompanied by a putto.
Portraits and Coins
On the three façades are medaillons with coins, among them the head side of Prussion coins.
Alter Wall, eight coins, the 5th and 7th are ornamental:
- Ancient Greek coin: eagle with a snake, no text.
- Coin of Athens: the owl of the goddess Athena, and the text ΑΘΕ.
- Coin of the Roman empire; The she-wolf with Romulus and Remus, and the text SPQR.
- Venetian coin; Lion of St. Mark, circumscribed dvcatvs venetvs 124
- Coin of Charlemagne, karolvs imp avg
- Augsburg coin, 16th century; Pine cone, circumscribed m d l xi avgvsta vindelicorvm
Rathausmarkt, six coins, the first and the last are ornamental:
- Hamburg 'Portugaleser', 1572-80: Coat of arms of Hamburg, circumscribed moneta nova avrea civitatis hamburgensis | nach portvgalis schrot vnd korn
- Prussian 2 Mark coin, 1876-1884; Portrait of Wilhelm I, circumscribed wilhelm i deutscher kaiser könig v preussen A.
- Prussian 2 Mark coin, 1888; Portrait of Friedrich III, circumscribed friedrich iii deutscher kaiser könig v preussen A.
- Prussian 2 Mark coin, 1891-1912; Portrait of Wilhelm II, circumscribed wilhelm ii deutscher kaiser könig v preussen A.
Kleine Alster, five coins, the 2nd and 3rd are ornamental:
- Coin of Bremen: coat of arms of Bremen (St. Peter's key), circumscribed x grot bremer stad gelt with the date 1654.
- Prussian coin, c. 1750; portrait of Friedrich II, circumscribed fridericvs borvssorvm rex
- Medieval coin from Lübeck: the Lübeck coat of arms (double headed eagle), circumscribed moneta nova lubicensis
- Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Location N 53°33'4" E 9°59'30"
Item Code: dehh038; Photograph: 6 March 2015
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt