Large fountain-sculpture ensemble on the place of the former Lutheran church. The main part is a circular basin with on the left side busts of
On the right side are two large 'rocks' with a bird on top. On the back side of the rocks is a bronze papal chair with the coat of arms and the name papst leo x; opposite this chair a small stool with the name doktor martin luther.
- Luther, reading in the bible, with on the cover Mart. Luth. and on the pages gottes liebe / ist
Martin Luther (Eisleben 1483 - Eisleben 1546),
German priest and professor of theology who initiated the Protestant Reformation
- katharina luther / geb von bora (plaque at her back side), with kitchen utensils.
Katharina von Bora, referred to as 'die Lutherin' (1499 - Torgau 1552), was the wife of Martin Luther. Katharina is often considered one of the most important participants of the Reformation because of her role in helping to define Protestant family life and setting the tone for clergy marriages (Wikipedia).
Through the center of the basin is a causeway. On the rocks flanking the steps to this causeway is the text mors porta vitae and the German translation der tod ist das tor zum leben. On the steps are bronze plaques with texts:
On the causeway are two engravings:
- wir sind bettler / das ist wahr
- gute werke / haben keine namen
- wir haben soviel, / wieviel wir / glauben und hoffen
- soviel du glaubst, / soviel du hast
- allein der / glaube tut's
- Labyrinth, with the text zwischen babel / und jerusalem / geht unser weg
- Heavenly Jerusalem (a city wall with the Lamb of God in the center), with the text offenbarung des / johannes (21, 1ff) / das himmlische / jerusalem
On several places are animals (chicken, rabbit) spouting water. Outside the basin is a mouse reading a book.
In front of the restored front part of the Lutheran church is a wooden cross. From this cross to the basin is a stream.
Signed: barbara x gernot / rumpf bildhauer / neustadt ad 1992
saniert und entkalkt / 2005 / mit hilfe der / rotary- und lionsclubs / der protestantische kirche und / den bürgern von ludwigshafen
This fountain is the only monument that shows Martin Luther with his wife Katharina von Bora. Simultaneously, the fountain refers to Luther's conflict with Pope Leo X.
- Barbara Rumpf (Neustadt an der Weinstraße 1960),
German sculptor in Neustadt an der Weinstraße, married 1981 with Gernot Rumpf
- Gernot Rumpf (Kaiserslautern 1941),
German sculptor in Neustadt an der Weinstraße , married 1981 with Barbara Rumpf
Sources & Information
Location N 49°28'51" E 8°26'41"
Item Code: derp163; Photograph: 25 September 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt