Catedral de Santa María de la Encarnación de Santo Domingo
Tomba de Colón
Catedral Basilica Menor de Santa Maria, Primada de America. As the story goes, for years the remains of Columbus himself were housed in this cathedral, kept in a white marble and bronze memorial built by the dictator Ulises Heureaux in 1898. Later, they were transferred to the Faro a Colón (Columbus Lighthouse) across the Ozama River.
Text to the vault: Vault of Christopher Columbus opened by the Dominicans in 1877. Vault of Diego Columbus opened by the Spanish in 1795.
This monument on postcards
This monument on stamps
Sources & Information
- Postcards in author's collection
- Stamp, collection of Alex Borgogno.
Location N 18°28'22" W 69°53'2"
Item Code: do005;
Added: 11 August 2003
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt