The Plaza de España is a semicircular enclosure built by Aníbal González, the great architect of Sevillian reginalism, for the Ibero-American exposition held in 1929. The diameter of the square is some 200 metres. Around the square is the building with a colonnade.
At the long façade of the building the Spanish provinces are in alphabetical order from north to south, represented by azulejos, depicting a map of the province (in the floor) and a historical scene, on top is the coat-of-arms of the province. On both sides of the historical scene are cabinets, which originally contains books on the province. On three sides of the map on the floor are benches.
Several provinces show scenes relating to Columbus (click on the thumbnail photos for a larger photo:
||Canarias: Colón repara sus naos en Las Palmas, Año 1492.
||Huelva: Columbus departs from Palos de la Frontera.
||Salamanca: Colón exponiendo sus planes a los Reyes Catolicos ante el Profesor de Prima de Salamanca.
||Valladolid: a side view shows the Columbus monument in Valladolid.
In a spaces between the arches of the colonade are medallions with portraits of important persons in the history of Spain. These portraits are in chronological order from north to south and have no relation with the depiction of the provinces in the lower part. Three medallions have a relation with Columbus: Columbus ("Cristobal Colon"), the Pinzón brothers ("Los Dos Pinzones") and Fray Antonio de Marchena ("P. Marchena").
In the building there is a military museum with models of the Santa Maria, the Pinta, and the Niña.
This monument on postcards
Location (N 37°22'39" - W 5°59'9")
Item Code: esan041;
Added: 13 March 2002
/ Photograph: 13 March 2002
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt