Six portrait medallions, from left to right (north to south):
- delcano - Juan Sebastián Elcano (Getaria, Gipuzkoa 1486 - Pacific Ocean 1526), Basque explorer who completed the first circumnavigation of the world as Magellan's second in command (Wikipedia).
- cortés - Hernán Cortés (Medellín, Badajoz, 1485 - Castilleja de la Cuesta, Sevilla 1547), Spanish Conquistador who led an expedition that caused the fall of the Aztec Empire
- colon - Cristóbal Colón, Christopher Columbus (c. 1436/56 - Valladolid 1506), explorer, colonizer, and navigator
- ercilla - Alonso de Ercilla y Zúñiga (Madrid 1533-1594) Spanish nobleman, soldier and epic poet from the Basque Country, fought against the Araucanians in Chile (Wikipedia).
- magallanes - Fernão de Magalhães, Ferdinand Magellan; Spanish: Fernando de Magallanes
(Sabrosa, Portugal 1480 - Mactán, Philippines 1521),
Portuguese explorer, his expedition of 1519-1522 was the first expedition to sail from the Atlantic Ocean into the Pacific Ocean and the first circumnavigation of the Earth, although Magellan himself did not complete the entire voyage
- pizarro - Francisco Pizarro (Trujillo c. 1471 or 1476 - Lima 1541), Spanish conquistador, conqueror of the Incan Empire, and founder of Lima
Set of five houses that make up a large block arcade, built in 1837 by the architectsJosep Buixareu and Francesc Vila. The developer was Josep Xifré i Casas (1777-1856), who earned a fortune in Cuba and the United States. It is one of Barcelona's most interesting examples of neoclassical bourgeois architecture . The main façade has fluted Ionic pilasters and a giant order pediment with a clock surrounded by figures in relief representing thetime. At the corners there are several terracotta reliefs designed by Damià Campeny and executed by Ramon Padró and Domènec Talarn between 1837 and 1840, alluding to the Commerce, Industry, Marine, Mercury, Neptune and America.
- Unknown artist. Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 41°22'55" - E 2°10'59")
Item Code: escy034;
Added: 5 September 2011
/ Photograph: 5 September 2011
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt