Statues - Hither & Thither

France
Andlau
Bas-Rhin

Alsace

Place de la Mairie

Fontaine Sainte-Richarde

Saint Richardis Fountain

Saint Richardis of Swabia
ca. 840 - 894/896
Holy Roman Empress, wife of Charles the Fat; founder of Andlau Abbey
Philippe Grass
1871

Andlau /  Fontaine Sainte-Richarde   Andlau /  Fontaine Sainte-Richarde

Description

Sandstone statue of Saint Richardis of Souabia with the bear on a column with the coat of arms of Andlau, standing in a basin. On the column is also a circle with two harps (after Deharbe) with the letter C and the year 1871.

Inscription(s)

st
RICHARDIS
fvndatrix
andlaviae
ano
d[c]cclxxviii

Annotation

The fountain was inaugurated in 1828 at the occasion of the anniversary of curé Deharbe. The architect was Th. Kuhlmann. In 1871 the statue, sculpted by Philippe Grass, was added.

Andlau and the bear

The bear is the symbol of Andlau and Saint Richardis of Swabia.

According to the Richardis, the wife of Emperor Charles the Fat was in 887 accused of misconduct by her husband. To show his innocence she submits herself to the test of fire. Barefoot and wearing a shirt covered with wax, she passes through the flames unharmed. Although her innocence was proved, she left the imperial palace and went into the forest. An angel appeared and ordered her to found a monastery at the place to be supplied by a bear. At the entrance of the Val d'Eleon, on the banks of the river, she sees the beast announced scraping the ground.
At that spot she founded the abbey of Andlau. Since that time, Andlau is the bear village, 'le village aux ours'.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 48°23'11" E 7°25'2"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: fral024; Photograph: 17 April 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt