Doric granite column - 36 m (120 ft) high - with a bronze statue of the Duke of York in in his Garter robes.
DUKE OF YORK
1763 - 1827
Second Son of George III
of the British Army
1795-1809 and 1811-1827
- Sir Richard Westmacott Jr, (1775-1856), British sculptor (Wikipedia).
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- Wikipedia, Duke of York Column.
- George L. Gomme, Return of outdoor memorials in London (London: City Council, 1910) (through Internet Archive).
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 250-251.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 92.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 112-113.
Locatie (N 51°30'22" - W 0°7'54")
Item Code: gblo178; Photograph: 22 October 2015
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt