Eight sandstone heads in high relief depicting personages connected with the history of America.
Chapel Street side:
1. Queen Isabella
2. Christopher Columbus
3. King Ferdinand II of Aragon
4. Juan Rodríguez Bermejo (Rodrigo de Triana)
5. Amerigo Vespucci
7. Hernando Cortez
8. Francisco Pizarro
- ISABELLA R.
Queen Isabella, who gave permission and funding for Columbus' voyage
- FERDINAND R
King Ferdinand II of Aragon
- ROD BERMEJO
Juan Rodríguez Bermejo (Rodrigo de Triana), crew member of Columbus, who first spotted the new world
Amerigo Vespucci (1451-1522), Florentine explorer, wrote a description of the new world, used by Martin Waldseemüller for his Cosmography, and because of this Waldseemüller named the new world 'America'.
Anacaona (sic!) (d. 1503), native American poetess and queen of the western part of Hispaniola.
Covent Garden side:
- H. CORTEZ
Hernando Cortez (1488-1571), Spanish adventurer, conquered Mexico for Spain.
- F. PIZARRO
Francisco Pizarro (c. 1478-1541), Spanish adventurer who conquered Peru for Spain.
The Hargreaves building, shaped like a Venetian Palazzo, designed by Sir James Picton, was built in 1859 as the headquarters for Sir William Brown, Bart. ( Ballymena, Ireland 1784 - Liverpool 1864, (Wikipedia), British-Irish-American merchant and banker, founder of the banking-house of Brown, Shipley & Co., the son of an Irish linen-merchant. At the age of sixteen Brown accompanied his father and brothers to Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A., whither it had been decided to transfer the family business, but in 1809 left America for Liverpool. Here he established a branch of the firm, which had now begun to deal largely in raw cotton as well as linen and soon afterwards developed into one of general merchants and finally bankers. The building, named after Brown's son in law who ran the Liverpool operation, was the headquarters of Brown Shipley bank until it moved to London in 1888.
Sources & Information
Location N 53°24'26" W 2°59'39"
Item Code: gbnw001;
Added: 22 March 2006
/ Photograph: 22 March 2006
/ Updated: 23 October 2009
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt