Statues - Hither & Thither

Great Britain
Hawarden - Penarlâg
Flintshire / Sir y Fflint

Wales

Church Lane
(St. Deiniol's Library)

Augustine, Dante, Butler and Aristotle

(artist?)
1902

Hawarden - Penarlâg /  Augustine, Dante, Butler and Aristotle   Hawarden - Penarlâg /  Augustine, Dante, Butler and Aristotle

Description

Four stone statues in the façade of the library.
    Left wing:
  1. DANTE
    (Florence c. 1265 - Ravenna 1321), major Italian poet of the Middle Ages, partisan of Henry VII in the struggle between Guelphs and Ghibellines (Wikipedia).

    Above entrance:

  2. AUGUSTINE
    (354 - 430), Bishop of Hippo Regius (present-day Annaba, Algeria), philosopher and theologian; his writings were very influential in the development of Western Christianity (Wikipedia).

    Right of entrance

  3. BUTLER
    Joseph Butler (1692 - 1752), English bishop and philosopher(Wikipedia).

    Right wing:

  4. ARISTOTLE
    (384 BC - 322 BC), Greek philosopher (Wikipedia).

Annotation

The building was designed by John Douglas and was officially opened by Earl Spencer on 14 October 1902 as the National Memorial to W. E. Gladstone.

From Jagger's article (p. 251):

The four statues of Gladstone's greater mentors and masters which were to adorn the outer walls, embellishments to which some had objected, were to be the final touch. Aristotle, Augustine, Dante and Bishop Butler all had made their contribution to the formation of Gladstone, the church-man, the statesman and lifelong student

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 53°11'9" W 3°1'37"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: gbwa002; Photograph: 23 October 2009
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt