Copy of the statue in Barcelona.
The Babelfish translation is:
"The open space of the port of Barcelona peace" and the
Madrid "colon open space" as beginning, Columbus American route
discovery (1492) the monument which praises stands in the Spanish
every place. As for Barcelona, Columbus after the returning
home, is the area where it visits in order to report the result to the
??? queen from first navigation. Commemorating that,
the case of the international exhibition 1888, you could build the
monument of height 60 meter and the Columbus image of 6 meters on
that. The Columbus image of ??? produced
this in reference. (Kubota)
(Kubota is a company building tractors, see their website)
Shima Spanish Village is an integrated resort facility constructed by Kintetsu group in Isobe-machi, Mie Prefecture. It opened in April 1994 and includes the theme park Parque España.
This theme park consists of several city plazas reproduced in scale and façade (but not in materials) from various Spanish cities, juxtaposed to provide spaces for Japanese tourists to enjoy. Around these plazas are stores and restaurants in which the tourists are expected to spend most of their time and cash. There is also an amusement park, an outdoor stage, a museum of Spanish handicrafts, and a boat ride.
- Rafael Atchι i Ferrι (Barcelona 1854 1923),
Sources & Information
- Photos of the statue and plaque from: (Japanese website) (sorry, I don't know what the website says and I could not ask the photographer for his permission).
- General photo from Sight-seeing Japan.
- The Parque España website. (Japanese - website gone).
- Information from Bruce Caron, "Shima Spain Village, Japan Brings Europe Back Home". Kyoto Journal 41 (Summer 1999) (on-line)
Location N 34°21'37" E 136°50'41"
Item Code: jp001
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt