|COLUMBUS MONUMENTS PAGES||
Columbian Exposition ✖
Columbus Landing on San Salvador
Statue (no longer existing)
From Columbus and Columbia in Chicago, 1893: Man of Genius Meets Generic Woman":
On the Court of Honor, the admiral's orchestrating presence behind the 'barge of state' was made materially manifest by Saint-Gaudens's sculptural program, for directly behind the Columbia Fountain-on the pavement separating the Basin from the Administration Building (itself emblazoned with the admiral's deeds)-stood a statue depicting Columbus on San Salvador. Execution of this three-times-life-size portrait sculpture was initially entrusted to Saint-Gaudens's brother Louis, but when he was unable to finish it, the commission passed to his student Mary Lawrence. She depicted the admiral with a raised sword in one hand and a cross-topped flagstaff in the other, planting the Spanish flag on North American soil-that is, taking physical and figurative possession of North America/ Columbia, and vigorously defending his right to do so. Metaphorically speaking, Columbus by this act fathered the Republic; Blaine alluded to a popular fantasy of mythic genesis when he called Columbus 'the man who planted with his flagstaff the seeds of the greatest republic this planet has yet known.'
Item Code: usil10
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt