Columbus Monuments Pages

United States of America
New Orleans
Louisiana

Plaza de España


1976 (2001)

New Orleans /  Plaza de España   New Orleans /  Plaza de España

Description

The Plaza de España is a plaza with a fountain, surrounded by benches with the coats of arms of all Spanish provinces, executed in the so-called azulejo-tiles, which are very common in Spain (cf. the Plaza de España in Sevilla).
A part of the coat of arms of the Spanish province of Huelva is a world map with Columbus's fleet between the Old and the New World and the dates of the voyage, 3 de Agosto - 12 de Octubre 1492.

Inscription(s)

Two of the azulejo's have the explanatory text in English and Spanish respectively, both with the coats of arms of New Orleans and Generalidad Valenciana at the sides and those of the United States and Spain at the bottom:

Spain dedicated this plaza to the City of New Orleans in
remembrance of their common historical past
and as a pledge of fraternity in the future
1976 AD
Bicentennial Year
of the United States
Renovated and Rededicated in the Year 2001 AD
Thanks to the generosity of the Province of Castellón, Spain.
España ofrendó esta Plaza a la Ciudad de Nueva Orleáns
en conmemoración de su pasado histórico común y en señal
de amistad fraternal en el futuro
1976 D.C.
Año del Bicentinario
de los Estados Unidos
Restaurada y Reinaugurada en el año de 2001 D.C.
Gracias a la generosidad de la Provincia de Castellón, España.

The azulejos are signed "Decorativa".

A bronze plaque has the text:

PLAZA DE ESPANA
THE CITIZENS OF NEW ORLEANS GRATEFULLY ACKNOWLEDGE
THE GIFT OF THIS BEAUTIFUL PLAZA FROM THE GOVERNMENT
OF SPAIN. IT WAS DESIGNED AND FABRICATED IN SPAIN<
AND CONSTRUCTED BY THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS WITH
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FROM THE UNITED STATES
GOVERNMENT THROUGH A "LEGACY OF PARKS" GRANT. THE
STONES AND FOUNTAIN WERE SHIPPED FROM SPAIN TO
THIS CITY BY LYKES BROTHERS STEAMSHIP COMPANY, INC.
AS A CONTRIBUTION TO THE PEOPLE OF NEW ORLEANS.
Signed by the Mayor Moon Landrieu and the City Council and several people from trade, commerce and construction, and ends with the note:
This Project was proposed in 1963 by the Honorable Jose Luis Aparicio y Aparicio,
Consul General of Spain, in cooperation with the Administrator of
Mayor Victor H. Schiro and the International Trade Mart, Lloyd J. Cobb,
President. This Administration would like to specially acknowledge
the cooperation received from the Honorable Juan Cabrero y Torres
Quevedo, Consul General of Spain, 1971-1975.

A second bronze plaque commemorates the 440th anniversary Hernado de Soto, who discovered the Mississipi River in April 1541, on 12 April 1981.

Finally, there is a bronze plaque for the rededication:

PLAZA DE ESPAÑA
RENOVATION AND REDEDICATION
MAY 21, 2001.
In September 1998, a Louisiana Trade Delegation organized
by the Confederación Española de Organizaciones Empresariales and
led by James M. Singleton, President, New Orleans City Council,
obtained a commitment to replace the original 54 crests, which
had detoriated, from Mr. Carlos Fabra, President of the
Provincial Government of Castellón, Spain. The Spanish Plaza was
rededicated May 21, 2001, by President Fabra and Marc H. Morial,
Mayor, City of New Orleans. The shipping and installation of the
crests were provided by The Rouse Company of Columbia, Maryland.
This Plaza stands as a reminder of the Common Heritage and
Friendship between the people of Spain and the City of New
Orleans.

Tags

Location N 29°56'56" W 90°3'46"

eXTReMe Tracker

Item Code: usla01; Added: 23 October 2003  / Photograph: 23 October 2003

© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt