Marble statue of Columbus with a rolled map and pointing to yonder, on a (new) granite pedestal.
On the front of the pedestal:
A sailing vessel in a laurel wreath and the name CRISTOFORO COLOMBO.
Between the vessel and the name a bronze plaque is mounted with the text:
The Columbus Day Society of Harrison,
in commemoration of the
500th anniversary of the discovery
of America by Cristoforo Colombo,
does hereby rededicate this monument in
recognition of his greatest achievement.
Dedicated October 12, 1992.
On the back of the pedestal:
EXPLORER, DISCOVERER OF
FINDER OF A NEW WORLD
MAN OF GREAT FAITH,
VISION, AND COURAGE.
Below this, on the foot of the monument:
THIS MEMORIAL DEDICATED OCT. 12TH. 1949
AND PRESENTED TO THE UNION FREE SCHOOL
DISTRICT #6 BY THE COLUMBUS COMMITTEE.
- Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
Location (N 40°58'1" - W 73°42'57")
Item Code: usny16;
Added: 26 October 2001
/ Photograph: 26 October 2001
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt