7th St./Carolina St intersection
(Columbus Community Health Center)
Bust of Christopher Columbus
Bronze bust Columbus showing him in a tight, unadorned cap and doublet.
Two metal plaques on the front of the pedestal. The upper one with the inscription:
In dedication to the physicians, nurses, staff and volunteers who
tirelessly and compassionately cared for the poor and migrant
communities of the West Side for 90 years at the former Columbus
Hospital at 300 Niagara Street.
May the spirit of their efforts and the strength of their
commitment live on in this place.
The lower one:
IN PROUD DEDICATION TO THE VOLUNTEER BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND
PHYSICIANS WHO DURING CRITICAL DIFFICULT TIMES MAINTAINED THE
COLUMBUS LEGACY ALIVE FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.
Followed by the names of the founder & sons, the board of directors of the Columbus Hospital 1995-1996, "Special thanks to" and the physicians. And than the text:
ITALIANS CAME TO AMERICA UNSKILLED, OFTEN ILLITERATE AND UNFAMILIAR WITH URBAN WAYS. THEY EITHER
RETURNED TO FARMING OR ELSE JOINED THE LABOR POOL OF LARGE INDUSTRIES, ITALIANS IN THE BUFFALO COLONY
TENDED TO CLING TO EACH OTHER BY LIVING CLOSELY TOGETHER. A NEAR MIRROR IMAGE OF THE CONDITIONS EXISTING
IN 1908 EXIST TODAY, WITH A CHANGE OF THE MAJOR ETHNIC CHARACTERISTIC FROM ITALIANS TO LATINOS. THE GOOD
FORTUNE THAT HAS FOLLOWED THOSE OF THE 1908 ITALIAN COMMUNITY, IN THE NEARLY FOUR GENERATIONS SINCE
WILL MOST SURELY SMILE ON THOSE OF LATIN ORIGIN IN THE GENERATIONS AHEAD.
COLUMBUS HOSPITAL, INC.
The bronze bust is signed on the back "ROMAN BRONZE WORKS N.Y."
Execution date of work unknown, but administrator of the work, believed it to be at least one hundred years old. Original sandstone base replaced by current brick base.
The bust is similar to the one in Bridgeport, Pa.
- Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, SIRIS (Smithsonian Institution Research Information system).
Location N 42°53'29" W 78°53'3"
Item Code: usny19;
Added: 16 October 2000
/ Photograph: 16 October 2000
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt