Stone statue of the Danube Girl, at her feet a small shield with the coat of arms of Vienna. The socle has four fountain basins. The Danube Girl is a legendary figure who supposedly helped fishermen and warned them for Danube floods.
The Donauweibchen fountain was commissioned by the City of Vienna in 1858 by Hanns Gasser for the Fischhof, however it was never set up there, but deposited in an urban warehouse. On 30 September 1865, it was finally unveiled as the first figural decoration in the city park.
During the Second World War the Carrara marble statue was badly damaged, so the sculptor Fellinger made in 1948 a stone copy which now replaces the original.
Hanns Gasser (Eisentratten bei Gmünd in Kärnten 1817 - Pest 1868),
Austrian sculptor and painter