Statues - Hither & Thither

Austria
Wien
Wien (Land)

Freyung 6 (1.)
(Schottenkirche)

Fassadenstatuen an der Schottenkirche

Façade statues at the Scottish Church

Tobias Kracker
1651 and 1892

Wien /  Fassadenstatuen an der Schottenkirche   Wien /  Fassadenstatuen an der Schottenkirche

Description

The 13th century church was reconstructed first from 1638-1641 by the architects by Carlo Antonio Carlone and Marco Spazzio. From 1643-1648, Andrea Allio the Old, Andrea Allio the Young and Silvestro Carlone reworked the nave and the west side, creating the front façade with three statues:

Wien - Fassadenstatuen an der Schottenkirche
Above the door:
St. Mary with child

sculpted by Tobias Kracker, 1651

Wien - Fassadenstatuen an der Schottenkirche
Top left:
St. Gregor der Große / St. Gregory the Great
(c. 540 - 604); Pope 590-604 (Wikipedia).

Wien - Fassadenstatuen an der Schottenkirche
Top right:
St. Benedikt
(c.480-543), Patron saint of Europe and students; founded communities for monks. Benedict's main achievement is his "Rule of Saint Benedict", containing precepts for his monks (Wikipedia).

Three statues on the balustrade of the south façade, dating from 1892
Wien - Fassadenstatuen an der Schottenkirche
Glaube / Faith

Wien - Fassadenstatuen an der Schottenkirche
Hoffnung / Hope

Wien - Fassadenstatuen an der Schottenkirche
Liebe / Love

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Benedict of Nursia, St.
  • Façade with statues (church)
  • Faith (Fides)
  • Gregory the Great, St.
  • Hope (Spes)
  • Kracker, Tobias
  • Love
  • Mary with Child
  • Pope
  • Location N 48°12'43" E 16°21'52"

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: atwi158; Photograph: 16 September 2016
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt