Statues - Hither & Thither

Austria
Wien
Wien (Land)

Ghegastraße 1 (3.)
(Arsenal - Objekt 1 (Kommandanturgebäude))

Austria und Allegorische Figuren

Austria and Allegorical Figures

Hanns Gasser
1853

Wien /  Austria und Allegorische Figuren   Wien /  Austria und Allegorische Figuren

Description

The Commandant Building of the Arsenal is built 1850-55 after designs of August Sicard von Sicardsburg and Eduard van der Nüll in its mixture of Romanesque and gothic styles reminding of Italian castles. In the façade of the tower above the entrance is a statue of Austria in a niche, and on the two flanking risalite towers each a series of four allegorical statues.

Austria is shown as a female with crown, sword and shield with the double-headed eagle. The allegorical figures on the left tower represent various crafts and on the right one various sciences.

Wien - Austria und Allegorische Figuren
Maschinenschlosser / Machine locksmith

Wien - Austria und Allegorische Figuren
Wagner / Wheelwright

Wien - Austria und Allegorische Figuren
Waffenschmied / Gunsmith

Wien - Austria und Allegorische Figuren
Gießer / Moulder

Wien - Austria und Allegorische Figuren
Mathematik / Mathematics

Wien - Austria und Allegorische Figuren
Physik / Physics

Wien - Austria und Allegorische Figuren
Mechanik / Mechanics

Wien - Austria und Allegorische Figuren
Chemie / Chemistry

Signature

HG 1853

Wien - Austria und Allegorische Figuren

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Chemistry (allegory)
  • Façade with statues (secular)
  • Gasser, Hanns
  • Gunsmith
  • Mathematics (allegory)
  • Mechanics (allegory)
  • Moulder
  • Physics (allegory)
  • Smith
  • Wheelwright
  • Location (N 48°11'7" - E 16°23'15")

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: atwi182; Photograph: 17 September 2016
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt