Statues - Hither & Thither

Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais

Praça Boa Viagem
(Nossa Senhora da Boa Viagem)

Lavabo em Pedra-sabão

Washbasin in Soapstone


1793

Belo Horizonte /  Lavabo em Pedra-sabão   Belo Horizonte /  Lavabo em Pedra-sabão

Description

Washbasin with a relief of two intertwingled dolphins. This washbasin belonged to the sacristy of the parish church of Curral del Rey - the village on the place where Belo Horizonte was built. The basin was kept on the grounds of the new cathedral, but was transferred to the museum in 1986 to return to the Cathedral in 1999/2000. On its original place on the ground still is the copy made in 1986 (see here).

Information Sign

PROJETO DO EXTENSÃO DO MUSEU HISTÓRICO ABÍLIO BARRETO
CATEDRAL DE NOSSA SENHORA DA BOA VIAGEM
LAVABO EM PEDRA-SABÃO
Lavabo em pedra-sabão, datado de 1793, com características do
Rococó, estilo predominante na arte colonial mineira em fins do
século XVIII.
Este Lavabo pertenceu à antiga Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Boa
Viagem, do Arraial do Curral del Rei, e ficava instalado no fundo
da sacristia lateral esquerda da igreja. Com a demolição da Matriz,
em 1932, foi adaptado como chafariz em área externa da nova
Catedral.
Em 1942, foi doado ao acervo do Museu Histórico Abílio Barreto,
por iniciativa da Cúria Aquiepiscopal de Belo Horizonte. Naquela
ocasiào, decidiu-se por mantê-lo exposto no mesmo local onde
se encontrava. Somente em 1986, foi transferido para a sede do
Museu, instalando-se uma réplica de cimento em seu lugar.
Em 1999, o Projecto de Extenão do Museu Histórica Abílio Barreto na
Catedral de Nossa Senhora da Boa Viagem retornou o Lavabo para
a igreja. Após ser restaurado, foi adaptado neste espaço em
dezembro de 2000.
Este Projeto de Extensào é um tributo à Matriz colonial desaparecida
e pretende reafirmar o sentido simbólico desta Catedral como
espaço consagrado à memória coletiva de Belo Horizonte, em seu
universo religiose, histórico e cultural.

PROJECT OF THE EXTENSION OF THE HISTORICAL MUSEUM ABÍLIO BARRETO
CATHEDRAL OF OUR LADY OF GOOD VOYAGE
WASHBASIN OF SOAP-STONE
Washbasin in soapstone, dated 1793, with characteristics of the
Rococo, the predominant style in the colonial art of Minas Gerais in the
18th century.
This washbasin belonged to the old parish church of Our Lady of Good
Voyage, in the Arraial do Curral del Rei, and was installed in the rear
of the sacristy on the the left side of the church. With the demolition of the church,
in 1932, it was adapted as fountain in the external space of the new
Cathedral.
In 1942, it was donated to the collection of the Abílio Barreto Historical Museum,
at the initiative of the archepiscopal Curia of Belo Horizonte. At that
occasion, it was decided to keep it exposed in the same place where
was. In 1986 alone, it was transferred to the
museum, installing a replica of cement in its place.
In 1999, the Extension Project of the Abílio Barreto Historical Museum at
the Cathedral of Our Lady of Good Voyage returned the washbasin to
the church. After being restored, it was adapted in this space in
December 2000.
This Extension Project is a tribute to the disappeared colonial church
and intends to reaffirm the symbolic meaning of this Cathedral as
a space devoted to the collective memory of Belo Horizonte, in its
religious, historical and cultural universe.

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (S 19°55'43" - W 43°56'5")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: brmg044; Photograph: 9 July 2017
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt