Statues - Hither & Thither

Czech Republic
Nepomuk
Plzeňský kraj

Námĕstí Augustina Nĕmejce / Plzeňská
(Kostel sv. Jana Nepomuckého)

Sochy svatých na Kostel Svatého Jana Nepomuckého

Saint statues on the Church of Saint John of Nepomuk


c. 1734

Nepomuk /  Sochy svatých na Kostel Svatého Jana Nepomuckého   Nepomuk /  Sochy svatých na Kostel Svatého Jana Nepomuckého

Description

Three statues in niches:
  1. top: Sv. Jan Křtitel / St. John the Baptist
    (c. 6 BC- c. 36 AD), itinerant preacher and a major religious figure who led a movement of baptism at the Jordan River. He baptized Jesus at "Bethany beyond the Jordan." (Wikipedia).
  2. left: Sv. Dominik / St. Dominic
    (Spanish: Domingo), often called Dominic de Guzmán (1170 - 1221), founder of the Friars Preachers, popularly called the Dominicans or Order of Preachers (OP) (Wikipedia).
  3. right: Sv. František z Assisi / St. Francis of Assisi
    born Giovanni Francesco di Bernardone (1181/82 - 1226), an Italian friar and preacher. He founded among others the Franciscan Order. Saint Francis is one of the most venerated religious figures in history (Wikipedia).


Sv. Dominik
St. Dominic

Sv. Jan Křtitel
St. John the Baptist

Sv. František z Assisi
St. Francis of Assisi

Annotation

The church of St. John of Nepomuk in Nepomuk is built on the place where according to the legend the birth house of St. John of Nepomuk stood. In 1639 on that location a church was built, which was consecrated to St. John the Baptist. After the canonisation of St. John of Nepomuk in 1729, this church soon became to small, and in 1734, the church had to make place for the new baroque church, built by Kilián Ignác Dienzenhofer and which was devoted to St. John of Nepomuk.

Tags

Location (N 49°29'6" - E 13°34'51")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: czpl020; Photograph: 17 February 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt