Statues - Hither & Thither

Germany
Berlin
Stadt Berlin

Land Berlin

Schinkelplatz

Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth

Kleve 1781 - Berlin 1853
Prussian statesman, involved in the Prussian reforms and the main mover in Prussia's industrial renewal
(Wikipedia)
August Kiß & Friedrich Drake
1861

Berlin /  Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth   Berlin /  Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth

Description

Bronze statue of Beuth by Kiss on a pedestal covered with bronze reliefs sculpted by Drake after drawings by L. Pietsch.

Upper section

Four allegorical reliefs, showing the connection of industry with art, science, and trade.

Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
1
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
2
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
3
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
4
  1. Handel und Industrie / Trade and Industry. Personification of trade - a woman with the kerikaion (Hermes' staff) - and the personification of Industry - with leather apron - holding a cartouche with Beuth's name and dates: P.C.W. BEUTH | geb. xxviii dec. mdcclxxxi | gest. xxvii sept. mdcccliii
  2. Verschwisterung der Kunst und Industrie / Close union of art and industry - Two women, with in the background objects of art and industry.
  3. Die Zöglinge des Gewerkeinstituts, denen der Genius sein Licht gibt / The pupils of the Commercial Institute, to whom the genius gave light - Two students and a woman with two torches.
  4. Die Arbeit von der Wissenschaft unterwiesen / Work is instructed by Science - symbol of science is a representation of the Pythagorean theorem, that of industry a cog-wheel.

The relief frieze

Depicting several major industries, for the upswing of which Beuth effectively contributed.
Front
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Gropius, Wedding, boy, Stutzer, Brix, Nottebohm, von Pommer-Esche, Severin and Schubarth

Right
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Wöhlert, Freund, student, Borsig, Egells and two students of fellows
Die Eisenindustrie / The Iron Industry.

Back
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Woman, Girl, Dannenberger, Hummel, small boy, Alexander von Humboldt and three students operating the printing machine

Left
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Mother with two children, Drake, Kiss, boy, Daguerre, Goethe, Schinkel, Rauch and Eytelwein

Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Brix, Nottebohm, von Pommer-Esche, Severin and Schubarth
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Alexander von Humboldt
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Printing machine
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Boy filling the quill shuttle
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Drake and Kiss (background)
Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth
Daguerre

Signature

Statue: kiss fec.
Reliefs: fr. drake fec. 1860 - k. gew. insitut mencke busse exc. 1861

Annotation

Unveiled 13 May 1861. The reliefs are new casts from plaster casts of the originals.

Schinkelplatz

The Academy of Architecture (Bauakademie) on this square was the work of the city architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel (1836), who intended to create a square encircled by trees in front of the northern facade of the Academy. In 1837 Peter Joseph Lenné created here a decorative square, then called Platz an der Bauakademie (Square at the Academy of Architecture). In the 1860s monuments for Albrecht Daniel Thaer (1860), Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth (1861) and Karl Friedrich Schinkel (1869) were erected. With the erection of the third monument the name of the place was altered in Schinkelplatz. Honoring these three men in this form was a first in the history of Berlin, an expression of the growing self-consciousness of the urban bourgeoisie. The sculptor Christian Daniel Rauch spoke of the "first hero on a public place without a sword".

During the Second World War, the Schinkelplatz and the surrounding buildings suffered severe damage. Schinkel's statue was toppled from its pedestal, the monuments of Beuth and Thaer had suffered bullet and splinter damage. By 1949, the four caryatids from the base of Schinkel's statue and five reliefs of Thaer's statue were stolen. The Academy of Arts was demolished 1962 to make place for the new Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the German Democratic Republic (1966). The statues were placed in the Humboldt university and other locations in town. The ministry building was demolished in 1995/96 and the reconstruction of the Schinkelplatz started. Schinkel's statue returned in 1996, Beuth's in 1999 and a copy of the statue of Thaer in 2000 (the original is in the agricultural faculty of the Humboldt University). Landscaping was finished in 2008. There are plans to rebuild the Bauakademie - now you see scaffolding with a large image of the facade.

Berlin - Christian Peter Wilhelm Beuth

Sculptors

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Dannenberger, Johann Friedrich
  • Drake, Friedrich
  • Egells, Franz Anton
  • Egells, Franz Anton
  • Eytelwein, Johann
  • Freund, Julius
  • Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von
  • Gropius, Carl
  • Humboldt, Alexander von
  • Hummel, Johann Caspar
  • Industry
  • Kiß, August
  • Manufacturer
  • Nottebohm, Friedrich
  • Photographer
  • Politician
  • Pommer-Esche, von
  • Printer
  • Rauch, Christian Daniel
  • Schinkel, Karl Friedrich
  • Schubarth, Ernst Ludwig
  • Sculptor
  • Severin, J.F.
  • Statue
  • Student
  • Stutzer (foreman)
  • Trade (allegorical figure)
  • Weaver
  • Wedding (official)
  • Wöhlert, Johann Friedrich Ludwig
  • Location N 52°30'59" E 13°23'55"

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: debe018; Photograph: 9 August 2013
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt