Deutschland

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Berlin
Stadt Berlin

Land Berlin

Mohrenstraße - Zietenplatz

Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz

Friedrich Wilhelm Freiherr von Seydlitz-Kurzbach
Kalkar 1721 - Ohlau 1773
Prussian General of the Cavalry
(Wikipedia)
August Kiß & Jean Pierre Antoine Tassaert
1781/1862/2009

Berlin /  Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz   Berlin /  Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz

Description

Bronze statue.

Signature

nach dem marmor von tassaert von kiss.
ausgefürt im königlichen gewerbe-institute 1861.

Information Sign

Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz
General der Cavallerie

Marmororiginal von Jean Pierre Antoine Tassaert,
Lehrer von Johann Gottfried Schadow,
aufgestellt auf dem ehemaligen Wilhelmsplatz 1781,
ersetzt 1862 durch eine Bronzekopie von August Kiss.
Wiedererrichtet 2009 unter der Federführung der
Schadow Gesellschaft Berlin e.V. mit Unterstützung
des Landesdenkmalamts Berlin.

Statues of Prussian Military on the Wilhelmsplatz

After the end of the Seven Years' War in 1763, a plan was developed to to build on the Wilhelmplatz statues of the Prussian generals fallen in that war. So arose four marble figures of
  1. Marshal Kurt Christoph Graf von Schwerin (sculptor François Gaspard Adam and Sigisbert François Michel, 1769),
  2. Field Marshal Hans Karl von Winterfeldt (Johann David Räntz and Johann Lorenz Wilhelm Räntz, 1777),
  3. General Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz (Jean-Pierre Antoine Tassaert, 1781 ), and
  4. Field Marshal James Keith (Jean-Pierre Antoine Tassaert, 1786).
They show the the general in a conventional form. Schwerin and Winterfeldt shown in antique-style with Roman clothes and weapons, and Keith and Seydlitz in period uniforms.

In the years 1794 and 1828 two more statues were placed on Wilhelmplatz, which were originally intended for other Berlin city squares. They came from the Berlin sculptor Johann Gottfried Schadow and depict

  1. Hans Joachim of Zieten - which was intended for the now-defunct Dönhoffplatz -
  2. Leopold I, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau, called the "Old Dessauer", which first stood in the the Lustgarten.

On the advice of Christian Daniel Rauch because of the susceptibility of the material the sculptor August Kiß made in 1857 bronze versions of the marble statues. However Kiß designed the sculptures of Schwerin and Winterfeldt entirely new and and depicted them also in period uniforms. The original marble statues are at present in the Bode Museum.

The six statues survived the Second World War, but remained for decades in various deposits withdrawn from public view. After the turn of the millennium at the instigation of the Berlin Schadow Society was planned to replace the statues in the vicinity of their historical locations. The bronze copies of the monuments of Anhalt-Dessau Zieten and were placed on the metro island on the transverse axis of the former Wilhelmplatz in 2003 and 2005. The remaining four bronze statues found in September 2009, a new site on the adjacent Zietenplatz.

Tablet on the pedestal of Seydlitz' statue:

Hier auf dem Zietenplatz wurden im Jahre 2009 unter der Federführung der Schadow Gesellschaft
Berlin e.V. mit Unterstützung des Lions Club Berlin-Grunewald und des Landesdenkmalamts
Berlin vier Standbilder verdienter Feldmarschälle und Generäle Friedrichs des Großen aufgestellt.

generalfeldmarschall kurt christoph graf von schwerin
generalfeldmarschall jakob von kleith
general der cavallerie friedrich wilhelm von seydlitz
generalleutnant hans carl von winterfeldt

Sie bildeten bis zum Ende des Zweiten Weltkrieges gemeinsam mit den Denkmälern des Husaren-
general Hans-Joachim von Zieten un des „Alten Dessauersʺ ein Ensemble auf dem ehemaligen
Wilhelmsplatz inmitten einer großzügigen Grünanlage. Mit der Neuaufstellung der insgesamt
sechs Standbilder ist das alte Ensemble wieder hergestellt.

sponsoren

[Names]

Berlin - Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz

Sculptors

Tags

Locatie (N 52°30'42" - E 13°23'4")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: debe027; Photograph: 9 August 2013
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt