In 1905 this building, designed by Albert Erbe, was built for the Navigation school, founded 1749. The brick façades with sand stone bands are modelled in Dutch renaissance style. Since 1946 the Seewetteramt (ehem. Deutsche Seewarte) [marine weather bureau] is housed here.
The façades are ornamented with cartouches with the names of important discoverers and navigators:
South façade, east side:
Central part of south façade:
FLAVIO-GIOJA. = Flavio Gioja or Gioia (fl. 1302) was an Italian mariner and inventor.