Bronze, nonagonal fountain basin with in the center a column with a statue of Emperor Otto II, who granted abbot Folkmar of Werden the coinage and market right of Lüdinghausen.
The nonagon should point out that in the Middle Ages there where in the Lüdinghauser area on the Stever rover probably nine castles like pearls on a string (Kakesbeck, Vischering, Lüdinghausen Wolfsberg, Patzlar, Ermen, Alrott, Tüllinghoff and Vehoff).
The nine faces of the basin are made of bronze plates with reliefs showing themes from the Lüdinghausen history, each with the appropriate year as the only caption:
- 800: First mention of Lüdinghausen, Snellard donated a farm in 'Ludinchusen' to St. Liudger.
- 974: Lüdinghausen was granted the coinage and market right.
- 1271: First mention of the castles Lüdinghausen, Wolfsberg and Vischering.
- 1308 (1309): Unauthorized granting of the town charter by the Lords of Lüdinghausen and Lüdinghausen-Wolff.
- 1448 · 1832: Referring the the five city fires, 1448, 1568, 1594, 1619, and 1832.
- 1509: Lüdinghausen under the rule of the chapter of Münster.
- 1570: Visschering Castle.
- 1618-1648: Thirty Years War. Conquest of the Lüdinghausen Castle in 1624.
- 1975: Lüdinghausen and Seppenrade form one town. View of a town with coat of arms of Lüdinghausen and Seppenrade.
(click on the photo for an enlargement in a separate window.)
Signed (on the 1975 panel): 19 [monogram] RB 80
- Rudolf Breilmann (Münster 1929), German sculptor of Münster.
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 51°46'17" - E 7°26'40")
Item Code: denw238; Photograph: 12 October 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt