Statues - Hither & Thither

Germany
Magdeburg
Stadt Magdeburg

Sachsen-Anhalt

Breiter Weg / Ratswaageplatz

Magdeburger Halbkugeln

The Magdeburg hemispheres


(Wikipedia)
Thomas Virnich
2002

Magdeburg /  Magdeburger Halbkugeln   Magdeburg /  Magdeburger Halbkugeln

Description

"Half" statue of two horses pulling on the Magdeburg hemispheres.

Magdeburg - Magdeburger Halbkugeln Magdeburg - Magdeburger Halbkugeln

Inscription(s)

Signed: Thomas Virnich 2002 On the sculpture is also a list of sponsors and on the pedestal a tablet with sponsor's names.

Annotation

The Magdeburg hemispheres are a pair of large copper hemispheres with mating rims, used to demonstrate the power of atmospheric pressure. When the rims were sealed with grease and the air was pumped out, the sphere contained a vacuum and could not be pulled apart by teams of horses. The Magdeburg hemispheres were designed by a German scientist and mayor of Magdeburg, Otto von Guericke in 1656 to demonstrate the air pump which he had invented, and the concept of atmospheric pressure.

The sculpture was unveiled 15 June 2002 by Oberbürgermeister Dr. Lutz Trümper and "Otto von Guericke" (Wolfgang Emmrich), at the occasion of the 400th birthday of Otto von Guericke.

Magdeburg - Magdeburger Halbkugeln

Sculptor

Tags

Location N 52°7'59" E 11°38'16"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: desa032; Photograph: 1 September 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt