Town Hall Portico
Allegorical statues of the seven virtues, Religion and Peace on the altan of the Town Hall.
on top: IVSTITIA. - Justice, a standing woman with sword and scales.
left: PIETAS. - Dutifulness, a lying woman with books.
right: FIDES. - Faith, a lying woman a T-cross.
PATIENTIA. - Pacience, a lying woman with a sheep.
FORTITUDO - Strength, a lying woman with a lion.
CHARITAS. - Charity, a lying woman with two children.
SPES. - Hope, a lying woman with an anchor.
On the lower part of the portico:
RELIGIO. - Religion, an angel with an open book, and the coat of arms of Johann Friedrich Kurfürst von Sachsen (1503 - 1554).
PAX. - Peace, an angel with a palm leaf, and the coat of arms of King Christian III of Denmark.
The original statues were made by Georg Schröter in 1573, but they were replaced by copies with the restorations of 1768 and 1868.
Georg Schröter, German sculptor from Torgau.
Coat of arms
Locatie (N 51°51'59" - E 12°38'36")
; Photograph: 2 September 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the
(in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt