Statues - Hither & Thither

Germany
Chemnitz
Stadt Chemnitz

Sachsen

Innere Klosterstraße
(Jakobikirche)

Statuen Jakobikirche

Statues at St James' Church

(artist?)
1911-12

Chemnitz /  Statuen Jakobikirche   Chemnitz /  Statuen Jakobikirche

Description

The west façade of the church with five statues dates from the years 1911-12. The design in Art Nouveau form is from the Dresden architects Schilling & Graebner. The sculptures are a sermon in stone is: On the pillars we can see the statues of a scholar, a worker, a mother and child as well as a businessman. They embody the idea: All the smart things must be done for the glory of God. The midfield is dominated by the powerful depiction of Christ, pointing an incriminating finger up to the heavenly world. It is embodied by five musical angels figures.

Scholar
Scholar
Worker
Worker
Mother and child
Mother and child
Businessman
Businessman

Inscription(s)

EIN FESTE BURG IST UNSER GOTT

Annotation

The sculptures are hardly visible because of the protective chicken wire.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 50°49'58" E 12°55'6"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: desn038; Photograph: 23 January 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt