Neo-classical with the name ARNOLDI and four vignettes with
a portrait and the date MDCCCXLI (1841),
two crossed torches, two stars and two laurer wreaths (?) and the date MDCCCXXIX (1829),
a caduceus and the date MDCCCXVII (1817),
a building with text excinere integrum / resurgit and the date MDCCCXXL (1825) .
This "old" Arnoldi monument was univeiled on the second anniversary of the death of Ernst Wilhelm Arnoldi 27 May 1843 on the former Erfurter Platz. The neo-classical monument was erected at the initiative of the Verein zur Stiftung eines Ehrengedächtnisses für E. W. Arnoldi. The square was renamed in 1858 Arnoldi space. In September 1969 the monument was removed for the widening of the road and replacing the tram from the Old Town. Since the reconstruction of the monument was promised, the rubble at the was dumped at Siebleber Schloss Mönchshof.
Through the initiative of Matthias Wenzel were the individual parts of the old monument recovered. The Verein für Stadtgeschichte und Altstadterhaltung organised in 1996 a fundraising for the reconstruction. On 24 May 2003 on the occasion of the 225th anniversary of the birth of Ernst Wilhelm Arnoldi the rebuild old monument was unveiled on the Ekhofplatz, less than 100 m from the "new" Arnoldi monument of 1991.