The Faro a Colón (Columbus' Light House), a cross-shaped in reinforced concrete, 200 meter long from east to west and 60 meter north to south, is a monument, a cultural center, and a museum where at its crossing corridors are entombed the remains (controversial) of Christopher Columbus.
The original idea was conceived in 1852 by Dominican historian Antonio Del Monte y Tejada. Its construction began in 1986. It was completed, by the former Dominican President Dr. Juaquín Balaguer in 1992, just in time for the 500th anniversary of America's discovery by Columbus.
This monument on stamps
Sources & Information
Location N 18°28'42" W 69°52'5"
Item Code: do003
Added: 14 December 2003
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt