Statues - Hither & Thither

Spain
Palos de la Frontera
Huelva (prov.)

Andalucía

Calle de Frey Juan Pérez

Monumento a los marineros de Palos

Palos Crew Monument


1965/88/93

Palos de la Frontera /  Monumento a los marineros de Palos   Palos de la Frontera /  Monumento a los marineros de Palos

Description

Iron cross on a large stone pedestal with on three sides azulejos with text. Two sides show the names of the crew from Palos, the third side a poem by Dolores Izquierdo Labrado on the occasion of the Day of the Woman 1993.

Inscription(s)

(Click on the small photo for a large, readable photo)

East side:
A la memoria de los marineros del Descubrimiento de Palos de la Frontera.
Martin Alonso Pinzon
Juan de Moguer
Juan de la Plaza
Juan Cuadrato
Juan Quintero
Juan Romero
Juan Ruiz de la Peña
Juan Vezano
Miguel de Soria
Pedro de Arcos
Pedro Arraez
Pedro Tejero
Rodrigo Gallego
Sancho de Rama
Alfonso Gutierrez
Diego Delgado
Juan Ortiz
Juan de Sevilla
Donación hecha por la Asocación Amas de Casa local en el año 1965.
West side:
A la memoria de los marineros del Descubrimiento de Palos de la Frontera.
Vicente Yañez Pinzon
Alonso (Grumete)
Anton Calabres
Bartolome Garcia
Bartolome Vives
Cristobal Garcia Sarmiento
Cristobal Quintero
Diego Bermudez
Fernando de Triana
Francisco Martin Pinzon
Garcia Alonso
Gil Perez
Gomez Rascon
Juan (Grumete)
Juan Arraez
Juan de Jerez
Juan de Medina
Donación hecha por la Asocación Amas de Casa local en el año 1988.
North side:
8 de Marzo de 1993 Dia de la Mujer
Detras del Horizonte
Se queda el corazon
La ternura, el amor,
Las horas compartidas,
Las manos solas...
Esforzadas y ausentes,
La soledad valiente,
La Esperanza en los ojos
Mirando la mar siempre...
Detras del horizonte
Se queda una Mujer.
Dolores Izquierdo Labrado
Donación hecha por la Asocación Amas de Casa local.

Annotation

On the same square there is an azulejo with an explanatory text, saying:

"En esta plaza, el Miercoles 23 de Mayo de 1492, en presencia de Fray Juan Perez y Cristobal Colon y estando asimismo presentes los alcaldes mayores Alvaro Alonso Rascon y Diego Rodriguez Prieto, y los regidores Francisco Martin Nieto, Alonso Rodriguez Prieto y Alonso Gutierrez, fue leida al pueblo de Palos por Francisco Fernandez, escribano publico de la villa, la real provision expedida el 30 de Abril en Granada por los Reyes Catolicos en la cual se ordenaba a los Palermos que pusieran dos carabelas armadas al servicio de Colon y que partieran con el en el viaje que iba a eprender hacia las Indias por mandado de sus altezas (Archivo General de Indias Leg. 11. Ramo 4. Fls. 57 A 58 Vo)."

Translation: "In this square, on Wednesday 23 May, 1492, in the presence of Friar John Perez and Christopher Columbus and also being present the higher mayors Alvaro Alonso Rascón and Diego Rodríguez Prieto and Alonso Gutiérrez, it was read to the people of Palos by Francis Fernández, town clerk of this village, the royal provision issued on April 30, in Granada by the Catholic Sovereigns in which they ordered the people of Palos to make available two fitted caravels at the service of Christopher Columbus and that they sail with him in the voyage that he was to start towards the Indies by order of Their Highnesses (General Archive of Indies File. 11 Section 4. Fls. 57 A 58 Vo)"

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 37°13'49" - W 6°53'31")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: esan016; Photograph: 9 March 2002
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt