Statues - Hither & Thither

France
Ribeauvillé
Haut-Rhin

Alsace

Place de la Sinne

La ville de Ribeauvillé du 19e siècle

The Town of Ribveauvillé in the 19th century

André Friedrich
1862

Ribeauvillé /  La ville de Ribeauvillé du 19e siècle   Ribeauvillé /  La ville de Ribeauvillé du 19e siècle

Description

Red sandstone statue of a woman with a crenellated crown, representing the town of Ribeauvillé, with in het left hand a hoe and in her right hand grapes. At her foot is the coat of arms of Ribeauvillé, with the name if the mayor: "f. salzmann maire", a scroll with music notation, titled "pfiffertag", and some objects symbolizing the town: a flute for the flutists, a caduceus for the trade, a barrel for the wine making and a cog wheel for industry. Her her right arm rests on a shield, inscribed "maires / du / canton / 1862" adorned with the eight coat of arms of the villages in the canton of Ribeauvillé, each with the name of their mayors:
Bergheim

h. hatterer

Saint-Hippolyte

walter

Guémar

witz

Hunawihr

fr. trimbach

Rodern

ja. krumb

Illhaeusern

meyer

Thannenkirch

ledig

Rorschwihr

f.j. müller

Ribeauvillé  - La ville de Ribeauvillé du 19e siècle

Under this shield is a scroll with a list of names and dates:

fondateurs de l'industrie
a ribeauville

stephan et cie 1773
appenzeller et cie 1796
fischer et cie 1811
schaeffer frères 1814
weisgerber jean louis 1815
schmid et salzmann 1817
heilmann frères et cie 1818
schmid, salzmann et koehler 1830
hofer et schlumberger 1836
steiner charles 1839
baumgartner et weiss 1848
koehler j.a. 1853
weisgerber frères
et kiener 1856.

Inscription(s)

VILLE
DE
RIBEAUVILLÉ
1862
7 SEPTEMBRE
hommage filial
de
andré friederich
A
sa ville natale
sous l'administration
de
F. SALZMANN
maire

Signed: a. friederich / fecit 1862.
e. rosenstiel, architecte / g. zobel, entrepeneur

Annotation

This statue is offered by the sculptor André Friedrich, a native of Ribeauvillé, to the municipality of Ribeauvillé, who decided to place the statue on the fountain built on the Place de la Sinne. It was inaugurated on September 7, 1862. The statue is an allegory of the city of Ribeauvillé, citing its industry (through their Chief Executives) and its trade, its vineyards and forests.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 48°11'45" E 7°18'59"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: fral087; Photograph: 16 April 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt