Breton calvary on one piece: on a cross bar below the crucifix are the statues of St. Mary and St. John, and the crosses of the two murderers. On the hexagonal socle are three reliefs (pieta?), a bishop (St. Tudwal?) and a saint giving alms to a beggar (St. Yves), and three texts (unreadable for us).
Signed: f.p.y. hernot / de Plouaret 1852
Calvary or Golgotha was the site, outside of ancient Jerusalem's early first century walls, at which the crucifixion of Jesus occurred. In religius sculpture, a calvary is a type of monumental public crucifix with two or more adjoining statues.
In northern France, Belgium, and southern Netherlands calvaries were erected at the junction of routes and tracks or on cemeteries, usually showing the crucifix with statues of Saint John the Apostle and Saint Mary Magdalena.
The calvaire in Bretagne is distinguished from a simple crucifix cross by the inclusion of three-dimensional figures surrounding the Crucifixion itself, typically representing Mary and the apostles of Jesus, though later saints and symbolic figures may also be depicted.
In Central Europe, a calvary is a complex of shrines or chapels containing not only the sculpture or painting of Crucifixion of Jesus, but all the Stations of the Cross.
Yves Hernot (Ier) (Plouaret 1829 - Lannion 1890),
sculptor of Bretagne, son of the sculptor Jean Hernot and father or Yves II Hernot. The Hernot family is know for the many calvaries and other religious statues in Bretagne
(Wikipedia – Website).