Statues - Hither & Thither

France
Saint-Brieuc
Côtes-d'Armor

Bretagne

Rue Jobert de Lamballe
(Cimetière Saint-Michel)

Abbé Jules Collin

Jules Collin
1816 - 1976
Pierre Ogé fils & Paul Guibé
1877

Saint-Brieuc /  Abbé Jules Collin   Saint-Brieuc /  Abbé Jules Collin

Description

Portrait medallion by Pierre Ogé fils, and relief showing a balanced composition of the attributes of music and the priesthood by Guibé. The relief includes among others an organ and a drawing of a church, with text "guillaume Elevation" and signed "J. Collin Architecte".

Saint-Brieuc - Abbé Collin Saint-Brieuc - Abbé Collin Saint-Brieuc - Abbé Collin

Inscription(s)

L'ABBE J. COLLIN

Α Ω
1816 1876

Signed: (medaillon) p oge / paris / 1877

Annotation

This tomb is a monumental tribute to a musical family. The design of ornaments was inspired by Charles Garnier (1825-1898), architect of the Opera, and by Pierre Bossan, architect of Fourvrière.

The history of the Collin family starts at in the early nineteenth century with Julien Collin (1789-1852), who started with music at the age of 30 and became the organist of the cathedral. His six sons became all musicians: two organists, Charles (1827-1911) and Pierre (1833-1905). The other four are canons: Jules (1816-1876), Louis (1830-1887), Félix (1835-1891) and Auguste (1838-1901). They had each in turn control of the cathedral and are singers, composers, concert and music critics. Charles, organist of the cathedral from 1845 to 1909, was student of Lefébure-Wély and studied at the Conservatoire de Paris. His compositions have Breton themes, harmonizations of songs and hymns of Lower Brittany, such as the cantata Aux Gallois, les Bretons in 1867 for the Interceltic Congress. His children are also organists: Charles Augustin (1865-1938), at the Notre-Dame de Rennes, and Sullian (1867-1952), founder of journal Le Sonneur de Bretagne.

Sculptors

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 48°31'4" W 2°45'6"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: frbr151; Photograph: 1 June 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt