Rue des Cloches Saint-Paul 3
Joan of Arc
Saint Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc), The Maid of Orléans (ca. 1412 - 1431)
national heroine of France, beatified in 1909 and canonized in 1920. She led the French army to several important victories during the Hundred Years' War
(artist?) & Jeanne Champillou
In the chapel Saint-Jeanne-d'Arc is a bronze relief showing Jeanne d'Arc at the coronation and on the sides two tile panels with six scenes from Jeanne d'Arc's life. On the outside of the wall is a ceramic relief 'Vie de Jeanne d'Arc' by Champillou (1975).
Side panels by Champillou
Signed (bronze relief): PP.... in 1969
(tile tableau): fait a orleans
au clos de joye
par J. Champillou
Jeanne d'Arc attended Mass and prayed at the chapel of Notre-Dame des Miracles in Saint-Paul's Church. - this chapel, and the bell tower, is the only part of St. Paul's Church that survived the Second World War. An impressive mosaic showing Jeanne, accompanied by her officers and clergy, offering thanks to the Virgin, is a centrepiece of the chapel.
Jeanne d'Arc - Timeline
- 1412 - Approx date of birth
- 1425 - Visions of Saint Michael, Saint Catherine, and Saint Margaret, who told her to drive out the English and bring the Dauphin to Rheims for his coronation
- 1428, May - Went to Vaucouleurs to ask garrison commander, Count Robert de Baudricourt, to send her to the royal French court at Chinon, but is sent away.
- 1429, February - Baudricourt allows Jeanne to join the Dauphin at Chinon.
- 1429, May 8 - Lifting of the siege of Orleans
- 1429, July 17 - Coronation of Charles VII in Reims
- 1430, May 23 - Captured at Compiègne
- 1431, May 30 - Executed at Rouen
- 1871 - After the defeat of 1871, in many French towns and villages statues of Jeanne d'Arc are erected.
Mosaic showing Jeanne, accompanied by her officers and clergy, offering thanks to the Virgin.
- Jeanne Champillou (Saint-Jean-le-Blanc 1897 - Orléans 1978),
Atelier du Clos de Joye, Orléans
- Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
- Inventaire général du patrimoine culturel, IM45001703.
Location (N 47°54'0" - E 1°54'8")
Item Code: frce066; Photograph: 10 September 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt