Statues - Hither & Thither

France
Nancy
Meurthe-et-Moselle

Lorraine

Place Carnot 13
(Palais de l'Université)

Statues, busts et medaillons de la façade du Palais de l'Université

Statues, busts and medaillons at the façade of Nancy University

Giorné Viard
1858-70

Nancy /  Statues, busts et medaillons de la façade du Palais de l'Université   Nancy /  Statues, busts et medaillons de la façade du Palais de l'Université

Description

The façade of the Palais de l'Université - at present Faculté de Droit et des Sciences Economiques - is adorned with statues, medallions, busts and names of illustrous men from or educated in Lorraine.

Annotation

The Palais de l'Académie (later Palais de l'University) was inaugurated in 1862 and built after designs of the architect Prosper Morey (1805-1886) as result of action taken by the lotharingist Prosper Guerrier de Dumast (whose bust is in the porch of the Palais de l'Université).

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Bourcier (de Montureux), Jean-Léonard
  • Braconnot, Henri
  • Calmet, Dom Augustin
  • Charles Cardinal of Lorraine
  • Charles III of Lorraine
  • Façade with statues (secular)
  • Gilbert, Nicolas
  • Guinet, François
  • Haldat du Lys, Charles
  • LePois, Charles
  • Leszczynski, Stanislas
  • Napoleon III
  • Saint-Lambert, Jean-François de
  • Sonnini de Manoncourt, Sigisbert
  • Viard, Giorné
  • Location N 48°41'35" E 6°10'35"

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: frlo113; Photograph: 15 June 2011
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt