In niches flanking the entrance gate are two statues of slaves, copies of the ones made by Michelangelo.
Michelangelo undertook the project for the tomb of Pope Julius II in 1505, and began to carve the Slaves in 1513, as part of a modified project. On the pope's death, the project changed once again, for financial reasons.
Michelangelo donated the Slaves to Roberto Strozzi, who brought them to France. There they came in possession of Anne de Montmorency who placed them at his castle at Écouen (in the Louvre since 1794).
The slave to the left is the dying man, letting himself carried away by his destiny, while the slave to the right is the rebel, giving the impression of wanting to free himself.
Left: L'Esclave mourant / The Dying Slave
Right: L'Esclave rebelle / The Rebellious Slave
.... maniglier 1851
- Henri-Charles Maniglier (Paris 1826 - Paris 1901),
- Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (Caprese 1475 - Rome 1564),
Florentine sculptor, , painter, architect, and poet
Sources & Information
- Joconde, Portail des collections des musées de France, Accueil.
- Louvre, Captif.
Locatie (N 49°11'37" - E 2°29'9")
Item Code: frpi090; Photograph: 16 October 2017
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt