Horse Guards Road / King Charles Street (WC2)
Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive (Clive of India)
Styche near Market Drayton, Shropshire 1725 - London 1774
British soldier who established the military and political supremacy of the East India Company in Southern India and Bengal
Bronze statiue of Clive wearing military uniform and is bare-headed. His left hand rests on the hilt of a sword the point of which is on the ground. In his right hand he carries a scrolled document. The statue stands on a high pedestal with on three sides reliefs showing triumphs from Clive's life:
- clive at the siege of arcot | september to november 1751
- clive in the mango tope on the eve of plassey | jvne 22 1757
- clive receives the grant of bengal | behar and orissa at allahabad avgvst 1765
(click on the photo for an enlargement in a separate window.)
Erected 1912 in the gardens of Gwydyr House; moved to present site in 1916. The statue was the brainchild of Lord Curzon, who felt that Clive had been insufficiently honoured for his role in establishing the British Empire in India. A marble version was also created for erection in Calcutta.
- John Tweed (Glasgow 1869 - London 1933),
Sources & Information
- Wikipedia, List of public art in the City of Westminster.
- London Remembers, Memorials.
- John Blackwood, London's Immortals: The Complete Outdoor Commemorative Statues (London: Savoy, 1989), p. 216-217.
- Andrew Kershman, London's Monuments (London: Metro Publ., 2013), p. 48.
- Peter Matthews, London's Statues and Monuments (Botley: Shire, 2012), p. 24-25.
Location N 51°30'8" W 0°7'45"
Item Code: gblo036; Photograph: 3 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt