Statues - Hither & Thither

Great Britain
London
London

Greater London

St. Paul's Churchyard / Carter Lane (EC4)

St. Lawrence and Mary Magdalene Drinking Fountain

Joseph Durham
1866 (2010)

London /  St. Lawrence and Mary Magdalene Drinking Fountain   London /  St. Lawrence and Mary Magdalene Drinking Fountain

Description

Drinking fountain shaped as a gothic turret with two statues:
  1. St Lawrence, the deacon and martyr, shown with a gridiron, the instrument of his death.
  2. St. Mary Magdalene with her emblem, the ointment jar with which she cleansed Christ's wounds.
And a bronze relief:
  1. Moses striking the rock at Horeb (Exodus. XVII. IV-VI) and a Jewish woman holds a cup to the lips of her child.

London - St. Lawrence and Mary Magdalene Drinking Fountain
1
London - St. Lawrence and Mary Magdalene Drinking Fountain
2
London - St. Lawrence and Mary Magdalene Drinking Fountain
3

Inscription(s)

THE ST. LAWRENCE & MARY MAGDALENE
DRINKING FOUNTAIN

commissioned by the united parishes of
st lawrence jewry & st mary magdalene

originally located in the guildhall yard
outside the church of st lawrence jewry from 1866 to 1970

designed by architect john robinson and sculptor joseph durham

restored and relocated here in 2010

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 51°30'46" W 0°5'50"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: gblo137; Photograph: 7 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt