Statues - Hither & Thither

Great Britain
London
London

Greater London

Watling Street (EC4)

Admiral Arthur Phillip

London 1738 - Bath 1814
first Governor of New South Wales and founder of the settlement which became Sydney
(Wikipedia)
Various sculptors
1932 (1968-2000)

London /  Admiral Arthur Phillip   London /  Admiral Arthur Phillip

Description

Bust in resin to resemble bronze. The original bust was by Charles Leonard Hartwell, the modern copy by W. Hamilton Buchan and Sharon A. M. Keenan, placed on the front of a temple-like structure with two reliefs on the sides:
  1. Phillip and HMS Supply reaches Australia.

    THE FOUNDING OF AUTRALIA AT SYDNEY
    ON SATURDAY, 26th JANUARY, 1788.
    FIGURES IN ROWING BOAT LEAVING H.M.S. SUPPLY
    are capt. ARTHUR PHILLIP, R.N., lieut. P. GIDLEY KING, R.N.,
    and lieut. GEORGE JOHNSTON marines A.D.C.

  2. Founding the penal colony.

    THE DISCOVERY and FIXING THE SITE OF SYDNEY
    ON WEDNESDAY, 23rd JANUARY 1788
    reading from left to right:
    surg. J.WHITE, R.N., capt. ARTHUR PHILLIP, R.N., founder.
    lieut. GEORGE JOHNSTON, marines. A.D.C., capt. JOHN
    HUNTER, R.N., and capt. DAVID COLLINS, marines.

London - Admiral Arthur Phillip
1
London - Admiral Arthur Phillip
2

Inscription(s)

in honour of
ADMIRAL ARTHUR PHILIP, RN
citizen of london
founder and first governor of australia
born in the ward of bread street 11th october 1738
entered the royal navy 1755 & died 31st august 1814

to his indomotable courage, prophetic vision
forbearance, faith, inspiration and wisdom, was due the
success of the first settlement in australia at sydney on
saturday 26th january 1788

this memorial originally erected at st. mildred's church
bread street and unveiled by his late royal highness
prince george, kg gcvo rn
on 7th december 1932 was presented by the late
charles cheers, baron wakefield of hythe, cbe lld
alderman of the ward of bread street
lord mayor of london 1915/16
to the citizens of london and the people of australia
as an enduring link between the motherland and the
great island continent of australia

the church was destroyed by enemy action in 1941 but
the bronze bust and plates were salvaged from its ruins
and re-erected on a nearby site on may 8th 1968
following re-development this monument was placed
here with the kind permission
of fidelity guarantee corporation plc

Signature

c.l. hartwell r.a.

Annotation

The original memorial dates from 1932, but most of the features of the present memorial date from 1968, 1976, and 2000. Ward-Jackson explains, "Some parts of the memorial as it exists today are survivals from a large bronze wall monument in the style of the late eighteenth century, attached to the front of the church of St. Mildred Bread Street. This original memorial, which was blown down when a parachute mine destroyed the church on 17 April 1941, had been unveiled by Prince George, the future King George VI, on December 7, 1932."

The original bronze bust is inside St. Mary-le-Bow church.

Sculptors

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Admiral
  • Buchan, William Hamilton
  • Bust
  • Collins, David
  • Founder (of a city)
  • Hartwell, C.L.
  • Hunter (captain), John
  • Johnston, George
  • Keenan, Sharon A. M.
  • Phillip, Arthur
  • Ship / boat
  • White, John
  • Location N 51°30'47" W 0°5'45"

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: gblo140; Photograph: 7 August 2014
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt