Threadneedle Street / Royal Exchange Buildings (EC3)
( Royal Exchange)
Sir Hugh Myddelton - Richard Whittington - Richard Whittington
The Royal Exchange building, designed by William Tite, consists of a four-sided structure surrounding a central courtyard where merchants and tradesmen could do business. It features pediment sculptures by Richard Westmacott (the younger), and ornamental cast ironwork by Henry Grissell's Regent's Canal Ironworks. It was opened by Queen Victoria on 28 October 1844, though trading did not commence until 1 January 1845.
In the north and east façades are niches with stone statues of important merchants:
Facing north (Threadneedle Street):
- Sir Hugh Myddelton (or Myddleton) (Denbigh 1560 - London 1631), Welsh clothmaker, entrepreneur, mine-owner, goldsmith, banker and self-taught engineer
Sculptor: Samuel Joseph (signed: s. joseph sculpt).
- Richard Whittington (Pauntley, Gloucestershire, c. 1354 - London 1423), merchant and a politician; Lord Mayor of London, member of parliament and sheriff of London
Sculptor: John Carew
Facing east, in the tower:
- Richard Whittington (London c. 1519 - London 1579), English merchant and financier; founded of the Royal Exchange
Sculptor: William Behnes
For sculptures on the Royal Exchange, see also the Pediment and the Gresham Grasshopper.
- William Behnes (1795 - 1864),
- John Edward Carew (Tramore c. 1785 - 1868),
- Samuel Joseph (1791-1850)
Sources & Information
Location (N 51°30'49" - W 0°5'13")
Item Code: gblo161; Photograph: 8 August 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt