Triangular column with on top a winged angel, the personification of Victory. At the top of the column are the coats of arms of the Barons of Hastings (ship), unknown (St. Michael), and the Plantagenet coat of arms Hastings (three lions), and and the words FORTITUDE, VIGILANCE, and COURAGE,
Bronze reliefs set into the base of the memorial depict the three armed services:
in the air: a pilot in cockpit.
on land: soldiers marching off.
at sea: by sailors laying mines.
On the steps are the names of battlefields.
Unveiled 26 March 1922 by the Commander in Chief of the British Army, General the Earl of Cavan, and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Chichester, the Right Reverend Winfrid Oldfield Burrows.