Statues - Hither & Thither

Great Britain
Margate
Kent

South East England

Dane Park

John Woodward Memorial Fountain


1896

Margate /  John Woodward Memorial Fountain   Margate /  John Woodward Memorial Fountain

Description

Cast iron fountain, with on top a standing girl in long Classical robes, holding up a lilly in one hand. Below, a small shelly bowl, then a column to the larger bowl beneath, with around the central shaft four herons, standing among low reeds and waterlilies. The lower bowl is on a broader shaft which widens to a drum around which are dolphins of classical design; between these on the central shaft are low relief scenes of a putto in a sailing boat and a squirrel in an oak (both reliefs appear twice).

Margate - John Woodward Memorial Fountain Margate - John Woodward Memorial Fountain

Information Sign

This fountain was erercted
by
The Corporation of Margate

as a memorial to the late Mr John Woodward,
a native of this town who, in 1896, generously
presented to the inhabitants of Margate the
land to form this park, together with additional
land for forming and widening the surrounding
roads, and six acres of building land on the
south-west side of the park, the proceeds
derived from the sale thereon to be devoted
towards the expenses of the park.

Margate - John Woodward Memorial Fountain

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 51°23'9" - E 1°23'27")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: gbse103; Photograph: 14 August 2015
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt