The Memorial was originally a large obelisk of Portland Stone erected in 1920. After the Second World War the memorial was expanded. The Obelisk was given a surround designed by Sir Edward Maufe which contains 10,098 names. The surround is also made of Portland Stone, with bronze plaques. It has two pavilions; north and south which look out towards Chatham. Along the surround are four Portland Stone statues of sailors. The additional sculpture was by Charles Wheeler and William McMillan.