Three-sided stone fountain in municipal Renaissance style with a dedication plaque in south face. Relief portraits of Gladstone and his wife in roundels, in west and east faces respectively. Swagged surrounds. Base with moulded plinth and scrolled corners. Above these are a sculpted, armed putto sitting astride a dolphin, and at the other corners griffins bearing the arms of the Glynnes and the Gladstones.
William Ewart Gladstone
DRINK YE / THE WATER / OF LIFE
was erected by
Parishioners of Hawarden,
In Commemoration of the
William Ewart Gladstone,
july 25. 1889.
as a slight token of the
admiration and affection
inspired by residence
of fifty years
Signed (on the text tablet): e griffith designer / [& scul]ptor [ch]ester
On Gladstone's portrait: E
On Mrs. Gladstone's portrait: donald hastings 1935
Erected by the people of Hawarden to commemorate the golden wedding of W.E. Gladstone and his wife in 1889. It was unveiled on 29 December 1890, the former's 81st birthday. W.E. Gladstone married Catherine Glynne of Hawarden Castle in 1839. He lived at the castle from that time, and on the death of the last male representative of the Glynne family in 1874, W.H. Gladstone, the Prime Minister's eldest ston, succeeded to the estate.
The portrait of Mrs. Gladstone is obviously a replacement, maybe the one of Gladstne also.
- Edward Griffith, sculptor of Chester
- Donald Hastings (1900-1938), British sculptor
Sources & Information
Location N 53°11'4" W 3°1'31"
Item Code: gbwa003; Photograph: 23 October 2009
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt