Statues - Hither & Thither

Great Britain
Saint David's - Tyddewi
Pembrokeshire - Sir Benfro

Wales

Cathedral Close
(Cathedral - West façade)

Connop Thirlwall

London 1797 - Bath 1875
Bishop of St. David's (1840-1874) and historian
(Wikipedia)
(artist?)
1862/78

Saint David's - Tyddewi /  Connop Thirlwall   Saint David's - Tyddewi /  Connop Thirlwall

Description

Stone statue of Copp Thirlwall sitting in a chair and reading a book. The statue is placed in a niche above the entrance in the west façade of St. David's Cathedral.

Inscription(s)

CONNOP EPS MENEVEN

Connop Episcopus Menevensis = Connop, Bishop of St. David's

Annotation

The west front was given its present form by Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1862 and 1878. Scott dedicated it to the memory of Connop Thirlwall, a distinguished scholar and bishop of St. David's 1840-74 who had begun the restoration work.

Saint David's - Tyddewi / Connop Thirlwall

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 51°52'55" - W 5°16'8")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: gbwa061; Photograph: 26 July 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt