Statues - Hither & Thither

Great Britain
Saint David's - Tyddewi
Pembrokeshire - Sir Benfro

Wales

Cathedral Close  
(Cathedral - Holy Trinity Chapel)

Edward Vaughan and Gerald of Wales


1920s

Saint David's - Tyddewi /  Edward Vaughan and Gerald of Wales   Saint David's - Tyddewi /  Edward Vaughan and Gerald of Wales

Description

Stone statues of Giraldus de Barri and Edward Vaughan are on the sides of the altar, these statues date from the 1920s.
  1. (left) ed. vavghan ep. 1509-1522. Edward Vaughan, bishop of St. David's (1509-22) had constructed the Holy Trinity Chapel (Wikipedia).
  2. (right) giraldvs cambrensis 1147-1223. Gerald of Wales (Manorbier Castle, Pembrokeshire, c. 1146 - Hereford? c. 1223), also known as Gerallt Gymro in Welsh or Giraldus Cambrensis in Latin, archdeacon of Brecon, medieval clergyman and chronicler of his times.

Saint David's - Tyddewi / Edward Vaughan and Gerald of Wales

Annotation

The altar shows a relief of a calvary scene (crucifix with Mary and John the Apostle), flanked by St. James the Greater and St. Andrew on the left, and St. Peter and St. Paul on the right. The text is Ecce agnus dei qui tollis peccata mundi (behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world).

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Bishop
  • Calvary
  • Chronicler
  • Clergyman
  • Gerald of Wales
  • Giraldus de Barri
  • James the Greater, St.
  • John the Apostle, St.
  • Mary, St.
  • Paul, St.
  • Peter, St.
  • Vaughan, Edward
  • Location (N 51°52'55" - W 5°16'4")

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: gbwa062; Photograph: 26 July 2012
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt