Statues - Hither & Thither

Great Britain
Bangor
Gwynedd

Wales

College Road - Ffordd Y Coleg
(Bangor University, Main Arts Building, Library)

Bishop William Morgan and Goronwy Owen

(artist?)
1911

Bangor /  Bishop William Morgan and Goronwy Owen   Bangor /  Bishop William Morgan and Goronwy Owen

Description

Two marble (?) statue in niches on the façades of the library wing of the the Main Arts Building of Bangor Univeristy.
  1. SE: Bishop William Morgan (Tŷ Mawr Wybrnant, in the parish of Penmachno, near Betws-y-Coed 1545 - St. Asaph 1604), Bishop of Llandaff and of St Asaph, translator of the first version of the whole Bible into Welsh from Greek and Hebrew (Wikipedia).
  2. NW: Goronwy Owen (Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf, Anglesey 1723 - Brunswick County, Virginia 1769), Welsh poet (Wikipedia).

Bangor / Bishop William Morgan and Goronwy Owen
Bishop William Morgan
Bangor / Bishop William Morgan and Goronwy Owen
Goronwy Owen

Annotation

The statues are difficult to photograph. Bishop Morgan, on the southeast side is visible from the town, which is too far, or from just below at Lower Penrallt Road, under a sharp angle. Owen's statue on the northwest side is partly covered by the new 1963 wing of the university and can only be seen from aside.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 53°13'42" - W 4°7'48")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: gbwa121; Photograph: 29 July 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt