Statues - Hither & Thither

Great Britain
Bradford
West Yorkshire

Yorkshire & Humberside

Hustlergate  
(The Wool Exchange)

Richard Cobden

Dunford, Sussex 1804 - West Lavington, West Sussex 1865
British manufacturer and Radical and Liberal statesman; M.P. for West Yorkshire
(Wikipedia)
Timothy Butler
1877

Bradford /  Richard Cobden   Bradford /  Richard Cobden

Description

Statue from Carrara Marble.

Inscription(s)

RICHARD COBDEN

COBDEN

free trade -
peace goodwill
among nations

THIS STATUE
is the gift of the late
GEORGE HENRY BOOTH
a citizen of the united states of america
and is intended to mark his appreciation
of the character and labours of the late
RICHARD COBDEN
as well as to serve as a memorial of
the donors residence for many years
as a merchant in bradford

Signed: t. butler Sculpr / london 1876

Annotation

The Wool Exchange symbolises the great wealth and importance which Bradford had gained from the wool trade by the mid 19th century. It was completed in 1857 to the design of Lockwood and Mawson, won in open competition, and the foundation stone was laid in 1864 by the then Prime Minister, Lord Palmerston. It is ornate 'Venetian Gothic' in style with very decorative roof parapets and pinnacles. Flanking the porched entrance below the tower are statues of Bishop Blaise, the patron saint of woolcombers, and King Edward III who greatly promoted the wool trade. Between the ground floor arches are carved portraits of notable people.

Inside there is this statue of Richard Cobden, unveiled by the Rt. Hon. John Bright M.P. on 25 July 1877. The statue is a gift from George Henry Booth, from the United States of America, who was a partner in the firm Firth Booth and Co., Stuff Merchants in Bradford.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 53°47'39" W 1°45'8"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: gbyh010; Photograph: 31 July 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt