Statues - Hither & Thither

Budapest Főváros

Kodály Körönd (VI.)

Vak Bottyán János

Blind Bottyán

(Esztergom 1643 - Tarnaörs 1709)
a Hungarian kuruc general. He is referred to as 'blind' because he lost an eye while fighting the Ottomans
Kiss Kovács Gyula

Budapest /  Vak Bottyán János   Budapest /  Vak Bottyán János


Bronze statue.



Kodály Körönd

Kodály Körönd (Kodály Circus) is an elegant square at the intersection of Andrássy Avenue and Fels?erd?sor u., with beautifully painted old buildings and statues of four of Hungary's great heroes in each corner, constructed c. 1900. Two of the statues were replaced in the 1950s, when the original statues were included in the Millenium monument, a third was replaced also.
  1. Vak Bottyán János, by Kiss Kovács Gyula 1958 (originally Bethlen Gábor, by ifj. Vastagh György 1902).
  2. Zrínyi Miklós, by Róna József, 1902.
  3. Balassi Bálint, 1959 (originally Pálffy János gr, by Senyei Károly, 1905, which was torn down in 1955 and is now in the History Museum).
  4. Szondi György, by Marton László 1958 (originally Bocskay István by Holló Barnabás, 1903).

Budapest - Szondi György


Sources & Information


Location (N 47°30'33" - E 19°4'12")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: hubp099; Photograph: 8 September 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt